Thursday, June 20, 2013

Spanish Rice #SurpriseRecipeSwap


I love this time of the month!  It's time for the Surprise Recipe Swap!  My partner this month is Sarah from Curious Cuisiniere.  I see many similarities in our love of food.  Our food philosophies are very similar.  I love the wide variety of recipes and especially enjoyed all the baking.  That is my weakness.  I love baked goods, but am still intimidated by most of them.  I am definitely pinning lots of her recipes to try later!

This month I decided to try the Spanish Rice.  I figured it would go perfect with the pork carnitas I am making.  It is the perfect side and is super simple to make.  I could also see adding some ground turkey or ground beef for a super easy main dish meal.



Spanish Rice source Curious Cuisiniere
2 cups long grain rice
4 cups water
2 TBS butter
1 tsp salt
6 oz tomato paste
14 oz diced tomatoes, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 cup frozen peas
4 oz diced green chiles
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp parsley

  • In a saucepan combine rice, water, butter, and 1 tsp salt
  • Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed
  • Mix in remaining ingredients and heat over low for about 5 minutes or until heated through
Now how easy is that?!?  I had everything needed on hand.  This is going to be a new staple in our house.  It will work great as a side dish, main dish, and or even a burrito filler.  

We really hope you will come join us at the Surprise Recipe Swap.  Get to know other foodie bloggers and join in the fun!  We hope to see you next month!  Just click the button below and fill out the form :)

HungryLittleGirl
Below is the nutritional value per serving.  This recipe yields approximately 8 servings.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 328 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
287
Calories from Fat
35
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
3.9g
6%
Saturated Fat
2.0g
10%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
8mg
3%
Sodium
485mg
20%
Total Carbohydrates
57.6g
19%
Dietary Fiber
4.6g
19%
Sugars
7.1g
Protein
7.2g
Vitamin A 21%Vitamin C 45%
Calcium 3%Iron 30%
Nutrition Grade A-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points

12 comments:

  1. My husband loves rice! I will make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean to make Spanish Rice for so long already and always push it back! Now I finally have to do it! Writing it on my list for next week right now. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good. I even have some ready in the freezer for a quick side!

      Delete
  3. I love spanish rice and your dish looks so inviting! :) I just want to go grab a bowl! Also, I’d like to invite you to come link up with me at my link party! I’d love it if you could stop by & link up some of your recipes! Here's the link: http://anyonitanibbles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/tasty-tuesdays-15-9-recipes-youll-love.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spanish rice is something I rarely think about making. I loved it when my grandma made it when I was a kid. I love that this does not require a box or a mix. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandma made it all the time too. And I agree it is so much nicer to make from scratch than from a box. Of course it tastes better too!

      Delete
  5. Hi there! Glad you enjoyed the recipe! Your carnitas sounds like a perfect pairing for this rice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had Spanish rice in so long! I'm thinking I might have to give this one a try. :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!