Saturday, May 18, 2013

Spinach and Turkey Enchiladas

Featured at:

 Ms. enPlace


Well I turned another year older a couple of days ago.  For my birthday we went out to the farm where we picked some fresh asparagus and came home with a bag of fresh spinach.  It was so much fun!  The kids had a blast and really enjoyed devouring the asparagus we picked when we got home.  I need to try getting them to pick more vegetables because for some reason that makes everything taste a million times better.

I honestly had no plans for the spinach, but everyone loves it so I grabbed a big bag.  Last night it dawned on me to make some yummy enchiladas.  I figured it made a perfect Friday night dinner and honestly I was really craving enchiladas :)


A close up of the inside.  Doesn't that look yummy?!?



Spinach and Turkey Enchiladas
1.2 lbs ground turkey
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 oz diced green chiles
1 small onion, finely diced
2 TBS taco seasoning (or 1 packet)
1 cup salsa (I used my homemade stuff)
2 green onions, sliced
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
15 oz enchilada sauce (or homemade)
10 flour tortillas (I used fajita size)
8 oz shredded cheese

  • Brown the turkey in a skillet with diced onion and garlic over medium heat
  • Add taco seasoning, chiles, and salsa and simmer for about 5 minutes
  • Add spinach, cover, and simmer for about 2-3 minutes or until spinach is starting to wilt
  • Coat the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish with about 1/4 of the enchilada sauce
  • Place 1-2 TBS cheese in the center of each tortilla and about 1/4-1/2 cup of the meat mixture 
  • Roll enchiladas and place seam side down in the prepared baking dish
  • When all enchiladas are rolled top with remaining enchilada sauce
  • Top with remaining shredded cheese and the green onions
  • Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is hot
  • Serve with desired toppings
Seriously yummy!  These are so simple and delicious and everyone loved them!  I think the addition of spinach was great and so glad I decided to add it in there.

Below is the nutritional value per serving.  This recipe yields 10 enchiladas.


Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 204 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
410
Calories from Fat
158
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
17.5g
27%
Saturated Fat
7.5g
38%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
81mg
27%
Sodium
459mg
19%
Total Carbohydrates
43.3g
14%
Dietary Fiber
13.6g
54%
Sugars
2.2g
Protein
28.0g
Vitamin A 21%Vitamin C 30%
Calcium 41%Iron 79%
Nutrition Grade A-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points


Linked to:

Addicted to Recipes Button, Page button Blissful and Domestic I Heart Nap Time Dinner Time Recipes The Chicken Chick Photobucket  Ms. enPlace mop it up mondays It's Overflowing Mrs Happy Homemaker Mixitup Photobucket Make-Ahead Meals for Busy Moms Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays Mandy‘s Recipe Box Our Delightful Home nap-time creations The DIY Dreamer Cast Party Wednesday Back for Seconds HungryLittleGirl Cheap Recipes and Money-Saving Tips 52 Mantels Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Photobucket What's cooking, love? BWS tips button Photo Friday Blog Hop A Peek Into My Paradise SixSistersStuff.com Or so she says Super Saturday Show And Tell

14 comments:

  1. oh that looks really yummy! I'll have to try adding spinach to my enchiladas next time for a little healthifying. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!

    Come party with APIMP!

    I would love for you to share and link up at my TGIF Link Party.

    http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/2013/05/tgif-link-party-3.html

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love enchiladas and these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The filling sound really good! Spinach is my favorite vegetable, but I have never thought to use it in enchiladas. Thank you for linking up this week, Erika!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love spinach! I never thought of it either until I ended up with spinach overload from the farm. Sometimes you have to get creative :)

      Delete
  5. We love enchiladas and these ingredients sound mouth-watering! Thanks much for sharing at Weekend Potluck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love trying a new recipe and these enchiladas look amazing.....Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love enchiladas! YUM!! Thank you so much for coming to share at Super Saturday Show & Tell! I'd love to have you come and share again today http://www.whatscookingwithruthie.com Have a great weekend! xoxo~ Ruthie

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!