Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Grandma Bev's Spanish Rice

No matter how many times I make this recipe it still takes me back to my grandma's house.  I feel like I need to set up the t.v. trays to watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy while we eat.  I am 9 years old again just by the smell and the taste takes me back too.  Although I have made a few minor changes.  In my more adult years I have learned that I can not stand the taste of instant rice.  So I now use brown rice.  You can use instant to save tons of time.  That is completely up to you :) And I also opted to use no salt added or reduced sodium products.  So I guess I made it a tad healthier too ;)

I am so excited to share this recipe with you and I really hope you guys love it as much as I do!



Grandma Bev's Spanish Rice
1.5 cups low sodium beef broth
8 oz no salt tomato sauce
8 slices of reduced sodium bacon
1 medium spanish onion, diced
2 green peppers, seeded and diced
1 TBS minced garlic
1 lb ground beef
2 medium tomatoes, diced (you can use canned too if you wish, but drain them and use about 2-14 oz cans)
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup brown rice
1 can corn, drained

  • In a small saucepan combine tomato sauce and beef broth
  • Simmer on medium-low while you prepare the rest
  • Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat 
  • Brown bacon and drain on paper towels
  • Drain bacon fat reserving about 2 TBS 
  • Reduce heat to medium, add onion and green pepper, and saute for about 5 minutes or until soft
  • Add garlic and cook for 1 minute
  • Remove veggies and set aside
  • Brown seasoned ground beef (salt and pepper) in the skillet and drain
  • Heat skillet over medium-high heat, add rice to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes (or until the rice gives off a nutty aroma) stirring constantly
  • Pour in boiling tomato sauce mixture along with everything else except corn
  • Reduce heat low, cover, and simmer for about 50-60 minutes or until rice is tender (if you use instant rice this would go a lot quicker!)
  • Check occasionally to make sure there is enough liquid (if needed add more beef broth or tomato sauce 1/2 cup at a time)
  • Add corn, remove from heat, and enjoy!
This dish does require a tad more work, but it is so worth it!  Give it a try and I bet you'll love it!

The nutritional information is per serving.  This recipe yields approximately 6 servings.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 338 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
379
Calories from Fat
78
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
8.7g
13%
Saturated Fat
3.1g
15%
Cholesterol
70mg
23%
Sodium
545mg
23%
Total Carbohydrates
42.1g
14%
Dietary Fiber
5.8g
23%
Sugars
8.4g
Protein
31.8g
Vitamin A 20%Vitamin C 75%
Calcium 4%Iron 22%
Nutrition Grade A
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!