Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Sweet and Tangy Sloppy Joe's

Mmmm....sloppy joe's!  One of my favorite go to meals.  It's simple and the kids love it!  That means no "I don't like (insert type of food) ____" or "do I have to eat all of my veggies?".  One thing is I can always count on my three year old to tell me dinner smells good or that it is beautiful.  Those are his favorite phrases right now.  It makes you feel great until he puts on his favorite (worn out) pj's and says "mom! my jammies are beautiful!".  Oh well what do you do???

I am sure I will get compliments about my beautiful dinner tonight, but it is definitely not a pretty dish.  But then again if it was it wouldn't be sloppy joe's ;)  Before I get to the recipe let me tell you this is not Manwich style. I despise Manwich.  It's salty and the flavor isn't the best in my opinion.  This is more of a sweet sloppy joe that I have been eating since I was a kid.  In fact the first time I made it for my husband (who was a big Manwich fan...yuck!) he was skeptical, but now he is converted to the best sloppy joe's ever.

Once you realize how easy it is and that most of the items are in your pantry I bet you won't resort to the can anymore!  Maybe that's my goal today to convert all the can dumping folks into good old homemade sloppy joe makers ;)



Sweet and Tangy Sloppy Joe's
1 lb ground beef (or any other ground meat you like)
salt and pepper to taste
1 small onion, diced
1 small bell pepper, diced (I used half a red and a green to use up what I had.  You can leave out if you wish)
3/4 cup ketchup
1 tsp mustard (I use yellow, but use what you like)
1 TBS worcestershire sauce
1 TBS vinegar
1 TBS minced garlic (remember I LOVE garlic so cut this down if you are not a huge fan like myself)
1/4 cup brown sugar

  • Saute the onion and peppers in a hot skillet until just tender, about 3 minutes
  • Add garlic and cook 1 minute until fragrant
  • Add ground beef, season with salt and pepper, and brown
  • Drain ground beef and return to skillet
  • Add the remaining ingredients and mix well cooking over medium-low heat for 15 minutes

There you have it...dinner in no time and not from a can!  It's not the healthiest, but if you use all natural no salt added ketchup without high fructose corn syrup that is better ;)  Spoon the mixture into buns and top with cheese if you wish or do like I did when I was a kid and eat with tortilla chips...YUM!  Both are yummy combinations :)

Below is the nutritional value per serving (no bun or cheese).  This recipe yields approximately 8 servings.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 111 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
171
Calories from Fat
32
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
3.6g
6%
Saturated Fat
1.4g
7%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
50mg
17%
Sodium
71mg
3%
Total Carbohydrates
15.6g
5%
Sugars
11.6g
Protein
17.5g
Vitamin A 6%Vitamin C 21%
Calcium 2%Iron 11%
Nutrition Grade A-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points
Bad points


Linked to:

 Ms. enPlace Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays Mandy‘s Recipe Box Things that make you say: mop it up mondays Skip To My Lou Make-Ahead Meals for Busy Moms The DIY Dreamer It's Overflowing The Stuff of Success Cheap Recipes and Money-Saving Tips It's a Keeper 52 Mantels Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Thrifty Texas Penny Mrs Happy Homemaker I Heart Nap Time Mixitup Addicted to Recipes Button, Page button Our Delightful Home Photobucket Gluten Free pantry What's cooking, love? BWS tips button Around My Family Table

9 comments:

  1. I never really thought about it, but I guess you are right. Sloppy Joes by definition can't be beautiful. I dig that there is 1 TBSP of garlic in here!

    Thank you for linking with See Ya In the Gumbo this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they are definitely an ugly food, but oh so yummy! And the more garlic the better in my book :)

      Delete
  2. I love sloppy joes! When I was growing up, my mom just put spaghetti sauce on ground beef and called them sloppy joes. So when I made that that way for my husband, he thought that I was a little silly. Then I made a recipe sort of like this but it was tomato paste, water, worchestershire sauce, and some seasonings. I thought it was fabulous... a little sweet and a little spicy (I don't know what Manwich tastes like because I have never had it) but I thought it was fabulous!!! My husband thought he liked the old ones better :) Can't please everyone in my house even with something that is suposed to be an easy yummy meal!!! Maybe I should try this one and see. I know that I will love it and that is what counts right???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I agree! I know it is definitely hard to please everyone! I hope you give it a try and everyone is happy :) I would love to hear if you were able to please everyone.

      Delete
  3. Gosh, I can't remember the last time I had sloppy joes... LOVE THEM!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sloppy joes and your recipe looks delicious! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to say this has been my go to Sloppy Joe recipe for years! It’s a favorite of my 4 boys and husband, and my husband even calls to get the recipe sometimes when he’s on cooking duty at the fire station. Love the balance of sweet and tangy!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!