Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Lemon Thyme Chicken with Sauteed Veggies

Chicken and veggies can get boring...very very boring.  I am always looking for different ways to make chicken and different veggie combinations to ward off boredom.  This recipe was fantastic!  I found it on the Fitness Magazine website.  When I stumbled on this recipe for Lemon-Thyme Chicken and sauteed vegetables I knew we would be trying it and I am glad we did!

I did add more veggies and changed the prep to make it easier and quicker, but other than that I left it pretty true to the recipe.  Everyone loved this except the edamame.  That was apparently the worst thing I could have put in any recipe.  My daughter cried because I made her eat her age in pieces and that's not fair cause she's 10.  Yup...I am that mom.  The one who makes her children try "evil" veggies...lol.  Honestly, I think she would have been fine if my crazy husband didn't say he didn't like them.  Oh well.  He did eat half of his so I can't complain too much.  So next time I will probably cut the edamame out and sub in something else everyone likes.  Maybe green beans?  I think that could work :)

Yum! Look at this incredible chicken! 
Look at the beautiful color!  And notice my cute bowl that my mother-in-law gave me.  I love it!

Lemon Thyme Chicken with Sauteed Veggies
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (I cut mine into quarters to help get the yummy marinade)
1 TBS minced garlic
3 TBS lemon juice
2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

  • Combine everything into a plastic bag and coat chicken thoroughly then set aside while you make everything else
1/2 cup diced onion
1 TBS garlic
1 TBS lemon juice
1 zucchini, chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes
2 cups spinach (a couple of handfuls)
1-1/2 cups frozen shelled edamame (I left mine frozen)
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 TBS olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
  • Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet
  • Add onion, zucchini, garlic, tomatoes, lemon juice, salt, and pepper and saute for about 10 minutes or until tender
  • Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 2-3 minutes
  • Place in a serving bowl and set aside
  • Add chicken to skillet and cook about 5 minutes on each side until browned and cooked through
  • Top veggies with feta cheese and enjoy!
This was super easy and incredibly flavorful.  Everyone loved the chicken and gobbled it up.  The veggies were perfect too, but everyone complained about the edamame.  Oh well...a girl can try :)

Below is the nutritional value per serving.  This recipe yields approximately 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 360 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
396
Calories from Fat
155
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
17.2g
26%
Saturated Fat
4.8g
24%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
112mg
37%
Sodium
573mg
24%
Total Carbohydrates
16.9g
6%
Dietary Fiber
5.4g
22%
Sugars
5.1g
Protein
42.8g
Vitamin A 53%Vitamin C 60%
Calcium 16%Iron 23%
Nutrition Grade A-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!