Monday, July 16, 2012

Spinach, Tomato, and Feta Rotini

Featured on:

Nap-Time Creations


We just got back yesterday from our family vacation.  It was wonderful!  I didn't take my laptop with me and we really enjoyed our time together as a family.  We spent a few days in Hill City, South Dakota.  It was beautiful and the cabin was AMAZING!  Just check it out...


We did all the touristy things you do in South Dakota like Wall Drug, Corn Palace, and of course Mt Rushmore.  We also spent quite a bit of time in the Badlands which was just breath taking!  My daughter and I went horse back riding in the Black hills and were able to see some beautiful scenery including the mountains.  My little one enjoyed his time at Old Mac Donald's Farm and my husband took many, many scenic pictures.  Here's a couple pics of some of the beautiful places we went.

The Badlands
The Black Hills
Herd of Buffalo at Cuter State Park
And lastly there is no way I could post pictures of South Dakota without one of Mt Rushmore :)

Me and the kiddos at Mt Rushmore

All in all it was a wonderful vacation and South Dakota has easily become our favorite spot to go.  We can't wait to go back!  But back to reality now.  Which means cooking, cleaning, groceries, and all that fun stuff.

I really am not complaining because after eating quick meals and going to restaurants I was ready for something homemade and light.  So I decided on a quick veggie and pasta meal.


Spinach, Tomato, & Feta Rotini
1 Box of Rotini, prepared as directed on box
1 TBS Olive Oil
1/2 Spanish Onion, sliced into thin strips
1 tsp Dried Oregano
1 TBS Minced Garlic (or 1-1/2 if you're like me and LOVE garlic!)
1 16 oz container Cherry Tomatoes, halved
2 TBS White Wine Vinegar
3 Cups Baby Spinach
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
1/2 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1 TBS Olive Oil
Feta Cheese for sprinkling on top

  1. Heat 1 TBS olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat
  2. Add onions and oregano and cook until lightly browned, about 8-10 minutes
  3. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute
  4. Once garlic is fragrant add cherry tomatoes and white wine vinegar and cook until tomatoes are soft, about 3-5 minutes
  5. Add cooked pasta and spinach and cook for about 3 minutes or until spinach begins to wilt
  6. Remove from heat then stir in parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and remaining olive oil
  7. Top with crumbled feta cheese and enjoy!
See how easy this is?!?  Plus it is incredibly light and delicious.  Just what everyone needed after eating all that heavy food on vacation :)

Below is the nutritional value per serving.  This recipe yields approximately 6 servings.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 205 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
318
Calories from Fat
112
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
12.5g
19%
Saturated Fat
5.1g
26%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
66mg
22%
Sodium
526mg
22%
Total Carbohydrates
38.2g
13%
Dietary Fiber
1.8g
7%
Sugars
3.7g
Protein
13.7g
Vitamin A 44%Vitamin C 26%
Calcium 23%Iron 16%
Nutrition Grade B
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points





Linked to:

 Ms. enPlace Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays Mandy‘s Recipe Box Things that make you say: mop it up mondays Skip To My Lou Make-Ahead Meals for Busy Moms The DIY Dreamer It's Overflowing The Stuff of Success Cheap Recipes and Money-Saving Tips It's a Keeper 52 Mantels Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Thrifty Texas Penny Mrs Happy Homemaker I Heart Nap Time Mixitup Addicted to Recipes Button, Page button Our Delightful Home Photobucket Gluten Free pantry What's cooking, love? BWS tips button Around My Family Table

13 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys had a wonderful trip. :-)

    Thanks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! The pasta looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a good vacation. Nice dish. I found you via the Tuesday Talent Show from Chef in Training
    I have linked a pizza I did with leftover roast chicken. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank we had a wonderful time :) Your pizza looks incredible! Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. Oh delicious!!! And I happen to have all these ingredients on hand.. YAY!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love when that happens :) I have made this many times and the last time I made it I added some asparagus to it too! Yum!

      Delete
  5. That scenery is amazing!
    Thank you for linking this week. My family and I love pasta toss dishes like this. And feta. Lots of feta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. It really is! Just toss in whatever veggies you have and yum!

      Delete
  7. I love this! Looks like something i would make. I will have to try your version. Thanks for linking up to Tasty Tuesday at Nap Time Creations. You will be featured at this weeks party that opens tonight at 8:30pm.
    http://www.nap-timecreations.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Thanks for the feature and I hope you enjoy this dish :)

      Delete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!