Thursday, June 21, 2012

Cucumber and Tomato Salad

It's SUMMER TIME!  This is a dish I love during the summer.  It is cool, refreshing, and just plain yummy!  I grew up on this dish.  We would always have this with the garden surplus.  Sometimes we threw in a bell pepper if we had one.

I remember my grandma or parents sending me to the garden to find a couple tomatoes and a cucumber to make this salad.  And every time I take a bite of this salad it takes me right back to my childhood.  I can only hope my children will have the same types of great memories of family, food, and summer :)



Cucumber Tomato Salad
2 Medium Tomatoes, diced into large chunks and seeded
1 Large Cucumber, seeded (if you prefer) and cut into large chunks
1/2 Sweet Onion (you can use red or yellow whatever you like), finely diced
1 TBS Sugar
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1/3 Cup Cider Vinegar
1/2 Cup Water

  • In a medium bowl combine tomatoes, cucumber, and onion
  • In a small bowl combine sugar, salt, pepper, and water then whisk in vinegar until fully combined
  • Pour vinegar mixture over the veggies then place in the fridge for at least 4 hours so the flavors can blend
Super easy and flavorful.  Here's a tip...save the juice and make it all over again the next day combining whatever veggies you have on hand.  Enjoy and HAPPY SUMMER :)

Below is the nutritional value per serving.  This recipe yields approximately six servings.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 137 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
30
Calories from Fat
1
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
0.2g
0%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
0mg
0%
Sodium
392mg
16%
Total Carbohydrates
6.7g
2%
Dietary Fiber
1.0g
4%
Sugars
4.5g
Protein
0.8g
Vitamin A 8%Vitamin C 12%
Calcium 2%Iron 2%
Nutrition Grade A
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points
Bad points


Linked to:

Thrifty Texas Penny

2 comments:

  1. YUM, I have this bookmarked for summer! My name is Cindy and I blog over at Vegetarianmamma.com I wanted to invite you to link up your recipe and any others at our Gluten Free Fridays Recipe Link up party! It happens every Friday and we'd love to have you join us with some of your awesome recipes! It doesn't mean that you have to be a gluten free bloggers. If you have some recipes on your blog that are gluten free that counts! :) Many recipes are naturally gluten free.
    Also be sure to link up your blog on our Gluten Free Bloggers directory. You can reach the directory by clicking the "glutenfree bloggers" tab on our blog! Thanks, Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of my favorite recipes for the summer. So easy and yummy! Thanks so much for the invite to the party! Sounds fun and I will definitely head on over :)

      Delete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!