Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Texas Sheet Cake

I know more sweets.  Crazy how bad my sweet tooth has been, but I was really wanting some chocolate cake with some fudgy frosting.  Who can blame me?  Doesn't that just sound heavenly?  I thought so too.  So I began my quest searching for the perfect recipe and found a wonderful recipe for Texas Sheet Cake, Scaled Down over at 33Flavors and knew it was the recipe for me!

I did make a few minor adjustments, but kept it very close to the original.  It just seemed too perfect not make too many changes.  And truthfully I am not a very good baker.  It's times like these that I wish my good friend Wesley was still with us because she could bake anything and everything.  The most heavenly desserts you have ever had.  Love and miss you Wesley!

This recipe is not only better for you, but also makes a smaller amount.  Smaller is perfect for me because otherwise I would eat the entire pan.  So eating a smaller pan can't be as bad ;)

See how melty the frosting is?  I couldn't wait any longer...lol


Texas Sheet Cake
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour (sifted)
1 Cup Stevia in the Raw (or sugar or an equivalent substitute for 1 cup sugar)
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/8 tsp Salt
1/4 Cup Butter
1/2 Cup Water
2 TBS Cocoa Powder
1/4 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Large Egg
  • Mix the flour, stevia, baking soda, and salt until combined and set aside
  • Over low heat combine butter, water, and cocoa powder until fully combined (stir constantly so the chocolate doesn't burn)
  • Pour the chocolate mixture into the flour mixture and fully combine (the mixture will be crumbly)
  • In a small bowl combine yogurt, egg, and vanilla beat until fully combined 
  • Pour into batter mixture and fully combine
  • Pour batter into a prepared 7x11 pan (a 9x9 or 8x8 would work fine the cake will just be thicker)
  • Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
While cake is warm prepare the frosting so you can frost while it's still hot (that's how you do Texas Sheet Cake!)

Frosting
3 TBS Butter
2-1/2 TBS Milk
2 TBS Cocoa Powder
1-1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • Melt Butter over low heat
  • When fully melted add milk and cocoa powder and stir constantly until heated through and fully combined
  • Pour chocolate mixture into a bowl and add sugar and vanilla
  • Beat until smooth and thick
  • Spread over warm cake 
Now the hard part. :(  Wait 2 hours for cake to fully cool and frosting to harden before digging in.  Torture to smell the chocolaty goodness so maybe go for a walk or enjoy the spring weather :)

I cut my cake into 12 servings and the nutritional information is for 1 slice of cake.  171 calories for 1 slice...not too bad!

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 54 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
171
Calories from Fat
68
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
7.5g
12%
Saturated Fat
4.6g
23%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
34mg
11%
Sodium
121mg
5%
Total Carbohydrates
24.3g
8%
Dietary Fiber
0.8g
3%
Sugars
15.2g
Protein
2.4g
Vitamin A 5%Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 2%Iron 5%
Nutrition Grade D-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Bad points

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!