Monday, April 30, 2012

Slow Cooker Apple Surprise Oatmeal

I am not much of a morning person.  Never have been and probably never will be.  Breakfast around here usually consists of boring cereal, fruit, and/or toast.  My daughter loves oatmeal.  She always has so I usually let her get instant oatmeal which I know is not the best because of the added salt and sugars.

So on my quest to find a healthier alternative I came across multiple recipes and articles on how to prepare steel cut oats in the slow cooker.  I decided to take the basic 4 cups liquid to 1 cup oats and then added in the flavors we liked.

My daughter was excited to have some home cooked oatmeal with her favorite flavors inside.  What's great is this is such a simple way to make oatmeal that kids can easily come help out.  And the aroma that fills the house in the morning is AMAZING!



Apple Surprise Oatmeal - Slow Cooker Method
2 Diced Apples, peeled and cored (I wanted the peels, but my daughter said no and she won this time)
1-1/2 TBS Pumpkin Pie Spice
2 TBS Brown Sugar (optional I just used up what I had left)
1/2 Cup Honey
1/2 Cup Raisins
1 TBS Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Steel Cut Oats (DO NOT use Instant!)
3 Cups Water
1 Cup 2% Milk
  • Put everything in the slow cooker and mix well to combine
  • Cook on low for 6-8 hours overnight
  • Give it a quick stir in the morning before serving and you're ready to go!
You can top them with some chopped nuts, a drizzle of syrup, or a sprinkle of sugar.  It's up to you.  My daughter and I had ours with a sprinkle of brown sugar. Yum!

If there are any leftovers they refrigerate well and just reheat them in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until warmed.  Honestly when you smell this and take your first bite I would be surprised if you have anything leftover.  They are incredible!

Below is the nutritional value based on 1 serving.  This makes approximately 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 216 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
355
Calories from Fat
27
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
3.0g
5%
Saturated Fat
1.2g
6%
Cholesterol
5mg
2%
Sodium
33mg
1%
Total Carbohydrates
80.4g
27%
Dietary Fiber
4.0g
16%
Sugars
60.2g
Protein
5.7g
Vitamin A 3%Vitamin C 6%
Calcium 12%Iron 11%
Nutrition Grade C+
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!