Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Chicken Gyros

Gyros are one of those foods I just don't get that often.  I don't know why, we have Greek restaurants all over around here.  So I decided to make a chicken gyro recipe I found HERE.  It's rather simple to make, but I didn't really expect them to be hard.  I'm not sure why I never made them myself, but no time is better than the present.

This recipe was perfect for me to make today.  I finally got my new washer and dryer hooked up and have done 10 loads in two days!  OUCH!  So I didn't want to make anything too involved.  I enlisted my daughter to help too.  She was happy to, but most kids love to help cook.  She seeded all my tomatoes (we diced extra because tomorrow is chicken enchiladas!), she read me the recipe, and gathered all the ingredients I needed.  With her help it took no time at all to make this.  She was able to measure and mix much of the ingredients while I chopped and shredded everything.

There are two parts to the recipe.  Making the chicken and making the sauce.  I prepared the chicken marinade, stuck that in the fridge, and then mad the sauce.  Just make sure you give yourself an hour to marinate the chicken :)

Ran out of lettuce :(  But they were still good without it!

Chicken Gyros


1-1/2 lbs chicken sliced
2 tsp minced garlic
3 TBS lemon juice
2 tsp red wine vinegar
2 TBS olive oil
2 heaping TBS greek yogurt
1 TBS oregano

  • Combine all ingredients and marinate for 1 hour
  • While the chicken is marinated prepare the Tzatziki sauce
1 cup plain greek yogurt
1 cucumber, peeled seeded and shredded
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp white wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste 
1 TBS lemon juice
1 tsp dried dill
Olive oil
  • Wrap shredded cucumber in a paper towel and squeeze off excess moisture
  • Combine all ingredients except for olive oil in a small bowl and mix well
  • Drizzle with olive oil and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
When ready cook chicken in a skillet until cooked through.  Heat pita bread and assemble with chicken, tzatziki sauce, thin sliced red onion, kalmata olives, romaine lettuce, feta cheese, and diced tomatoes.  YUM!

I just want you to know it was difficult to put down to take a pic, but I sacrificed for you guys ;)

It was just me and my daughter eating tonight, but we both really enjoyed it.  Mr picky, the toddler, was a bit cranky and has been sleeping since 6 so he is down for the night and my hubby is working second so he will eat when he gets home tonight.  I am sure they will both love it as much as we did.  


Linked to:

Thrifty Texas Penny

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe. We love gyros at our house...and I'm a huge fan of the sauce. Loved having you over for the linkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sauce is the best part! We love the sauce :) Thanks for hosting and inviting me to your linky party!

      Delete
  2. Its been a while since i have had a gyro! Looks like it would be well flavored! Hoping your linking this up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heading over there now! I can't believe it's so late. Thanks for the reminder ;)

      Delete
  3. I am totally making those! They look soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, I love a gyro. These look easy too. I'm pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are super easy! Thanks so much for the pin and I will head over to your site and reciprocate. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!