Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Taco Seasoning


Remember this past weekend I melted down my large jar candles from Yankee Candle Co to make room and I saved the jars???  If you aren't sure what I am talking about and want to read about it HERE is the link.  Anyway, I was sitting here watching Snoopy with my son before his nap and it dawned on me what to do with those large jars.  I cleaned them out really good and for good measure to make sure there wasn't any left over wax anywhere I boiled the jars and lids.  Then I set out to make some more taco seasoning.  This time in a larger batch that would last longer.



Taco Seasoning
1/2 cup chili powder
1/4 cup onion powder
1/8 cup cumin
1 TBS garlic powder
1 TBS paprika
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 heaping TBS cornstarch or 2 TBS Flour (this can be left out, but you will need to simmer your meat longer until the liquid is absorbed.)

Just put everything in the jar and give it a good shake to blend well.

To use add 2-3 TBS per pound of meat and 2/3 cup of water.  Simmer until all the liquid is absorbed.  If you don't add the cornstarch or flour then decrease the liquid to 1/3 cup or so.

 I still need to make a pretty label, but I need more sticky laminating sheets before I do that.  I will include the recipe for quick reference the next time I need to make it too.  Since these jars are so pretty and the labels will look nice they will look great on the bar area or I can store them in the upper cupboard.  So simple and so easy.  I will post updated pictures as soon as I make the labels :)

Make sure you find My Road to Savings on facebooktwitter, and now Google+ so you don't miss any great posts!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!