Saturday, January 21, 2012

Slow Cooker Orange Chicken

Another Pinterest inspired recipe.  I am loving all the slow cooker meals I am finding.  We have really been into Chinese food lately!  I know this isn't really Chinese food, but it is American Chinese :)  Since everyone loves orange chicken I decided to give this a try.  It smells wonderful and looks good too!  The inspiration for this recipe came from HERE.  I made a few modifications to suit our tastes.


Orange Chicken
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
1/4 cup cornstarch
vegetable oil (for frying)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
3 TBS ketchup
4 oz orange juice concentrate thawed (pop in the microwave for 45 seconds to thaw)
1/4 cup brown sugar

  1. Combine chicken with cornstarch and make sure all is coated
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add chicken to brown.  You don't need to worry about cooking through since it is going in the slow cooker
  3. Add chicken to slow cooker and in a small bowl combine the rest of the ingredients and pour over chicken.  Toss to coat and cook on low for about 6 hours
You can add some veggies if you like and serve over white rice.  We decided to serve leftover fried rice from last nights stir fry.  The recipe for the fried rice can be found HERE just scroll to the bottom of the page.

To me this was alright.  Everyone else seemed to enjoy it very much, but I think I would just cook it on the stove top and maybe add an egg to the chicken after adding the cornstarch so it gets good and crispy.  The flavors were really good, but I did not like the texture.  I guess I just wanted more of a crispy chicken which would be virtually impossible in a slow cooker.  

Don't forget to find My Road to Savings on facebook and twitter!

2 comments:

  1. The chicken looks delicious. Your newest follower via the hop. you can find me at http://purplechronicle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty good :) Can't complain with the ease and flavor of this dish. Next time I will add some veggies for sure!

      Delete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!