Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Sauteed Chicken and Spaghetti

I needed a nice simple recipe to use up the rest of the roma tomatoes from dinner the other day.  I was browsing around and found this recipe on Skinny Taste.  This was the perfect recipe for what I had on hand and it was a loved by everyone.  We paired it with a dinner salad full of veggies (cucumbers, cabbage, carrots, etc) and it really made a satisfying meal.  There are enough leftovers for two lunches which is perfect for my hubby and me.  My daughter goes back to school and she buys her lunch.  I know not very frugal, but they have a great lunch program and a harvest bar that kids are required to choose two items.  I honestly LOVE their program and I take comfort knowing my daughter is getting a well balanced meal.  And well my son he will just pick off from whatever I eat.  I rarely get to enjoy a meal that I keep all to myself, but that's how toddlers are right??? 


On to the meal.  This was rather simple to make and quick.  I had just started making dinner when my husband left to get change for laundry (I can't wait to have my own laundry room again!).  By the time he got back dinner was done and getting ready to hit the table.



Sauteed Chicken and Spaghetti
1 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, Diced
1/2 tsp of Oregano
1/2 tsp Dried Basil
Salt & Pepper
8 oz Spaghetti
6 Roma Tomatoes, seeded and diced
3 tsp Minced Garlic or 6 cloves minced
4 tsp Olive Oil
4 TBS Chopped Fresh Basil
  1. Bring a salted pot of water to a boil and prepare spaghetti as directed on the package
  2. Season chicken with oregano, basil, salt, and pepper.  Heat a large skillet on high heat and cook chicken about 5 minutes or until no longer pink.  Remove chicken and set aside
  3. Add olive oil to the skillet and add garlic.  Saute for about 1-2 minutes.  Add tomatoes and some salt and pepper to taste.  Reduce heat to medium-low and saute for about 4 minutes. 
  4. Add drained pasta to tomatoes and toss well.  Add fresh basil and chicken and then toss well.  Top with grated parmesan cheese or a little shredded mozzarella.
Rather simple and yet so delicious!  The most time consuming part is the prep, but even that was easy and not too time consuming.  My husband and I were talking and think we could add broccoli, onion, zucchini, or a number of other veggies to change it up a bit and make it go a little further.  But it is great just how it is.  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!