Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Crockpot Broccoli Beef

Tonight was the night we made Broccoli Beef.  I found this recipe on A Year of Slow Cooking and knew I had to try it.  My family LOVES Broccoli Beef or Chicken Broccoli when we go out so when I saw this recipe for the slow cooker I was excited!  I followed the recipe exactly with the exception of preparing it the night before.  I just tossed all the ingredients in a Ziploc bag and threw it in the slow cooker around 11:00 to cook on low. 


You could skip the first step and use frozen broccoli just as she did if you prefer. I just prepared it with what I had and making the bulk of it the night before is easier for me when the kitchen is quiet. I find it easier to prepare as much as possible ahead of time when everyone is sleeping :)




Crockpot Broccoli Beef
1 lb thin beef (I used brisket because that's what I had and it was cheap)
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 TBS white wine
2 TBS apple cider vinegar
1 TBS brown sugar
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp minced garlic or 2 cloves smashed and chopped(I used the jarred stuff you find in the produce section)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 bag thawed broccoli (I used fresh chopped)
  1. Combine all ingredients except broccoli in a Ziploc bag.  Squish it around to make sure it gets in between all thin slices of meat and then set in the fridge overnight.
  2. Place the contents of the bag in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours. 
  3. Add the broccoli during the last hour
Serve over hot steamed rice.  I used medium grain white rice and I made a whole bunch for my next couple of meals.  It stores well and since I was already making I decided why not be one step ahead ;)

Even though we thoroughly love broccoli beef I will tell you this smelled horrid! When my husband walked in the door he scrunched his nose and said is that dinner? I immediately told him if it bad we will make pizza. I think the sesame oil is what smelled so bad. It was good, but I am not too sure this will be made anytime in the immediate future. It didn't taste much like what you get in a restaurant. Really it was just alright. I am not quite sure how else to explain it. My husband and daughter still enjoyed it, my son wouldn't eat it, and I thought it was so-so.

I am not sure how to change it up or make it better, but I think maybe reduced sodium soy sauce or adding some water with cornstarch might help. If I make it again I will definitely tweak it somehow. Just not sure how and for the time being if I want broccoli beef I will make sure to order take-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!