Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Bathroom Cleaner

***** UPDATE 1/31/12 FOUND HERE *****

This morning I have been super busy.  The house really needed a good cleaning and I was finally out of bathroom cleaner so I decided to make one before I got going on all the nasty filth.  The past few weeks I have been searching the Internet extensively trying to find the best cleaner for what I need.  My kids can make a terrible mess in the bathroom.  This morning I found dried toothpaste, spilled mouthwash, and black soot from the candles (apparently one of the little ones decided to stick their finger on the wick and proceed to draw on my counter).  I obviously need a good cleaner to handle their messes ;) 



Here is the recipe I found for bathroom that I liked the best:

Bathroom Cleaner
2/3 Cup Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Castile Soap
1/2 Cup Water
2 TBS Vinegar
1/4 tsp Essential Oil (I used Eucalyptus for the smell and antibacterial properties)

Mix everything together and shake vigorously.  You will need to shake it each time before use.  I also suggest using a funnel and a squirt bottle instead of a spray bottle.  This bottle I bought at Walmart and there is a filter on the end of the tube that goes into the bottle, so I just popped off the filter.  This will be rather thick and almost paste like so if you want to just dab it on your sponge that would work too.

To use just spray or dab on and scrub into surface.  Use a clean, damp cloth to rinse away.  I love this and it works great!  Removed all the filth from the kiddos without having to really scrub.  I like the fresh smell of the eucalyptus versus the strong bleach or ammonia smell most bathroom cleaners have.  Plus it is a lot cheaper!  I will admit all the start up costs of making your own cleaners can add up especially if you are buying a variety of essential oils, but the cost per batch is cheap because you are using such minimal ingredients.

Lets look at the cost breakdown:

2/3 Cup Baking Soda:  $0.18
1/2 Cup Castile Soap:  $1.87 (I used Dr. Bronners Castile Soap)
2 TBS Vinegar:  $0.02
Essential Oils:  $0.15 This is optional and the cost will depend on what you use and how much

Total cost $2.22!  Cheaper than the products you find in the store and with out all the crazy chemicals.  I am loving the clean, fresh smell in home without the choking chemicals.  I really am satisfied in the cleaning ability and take comfort knowing I am keeping a healthier home!

Go HERE to check out the source of this recipe and other great cleaning and food recipes!

Don't forget to find My Road to Savings on Facebook and Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!