Saturday, July 16, 2011

Cherry Crisp

Since cherries are on sale this week for $1.99/lb in many locations I thought I would share this simple, easy, and delicious recipe I found.  I used my leftover fresh cherries from last week, but if you wanted to make it simpler or you have cherry pie filling go ahead and substitute a can of filling or even frozen cherries if you would like. 





Cherry Crisp

Filling:

4 cups Pitted Cherries

¾ cup Sugar

½ cup Water

2 ½ Tablespoons Cornstarch



Topping:

1/3 cup Packed Brown Sugar

1/3 cup Oats (can use pecans or walnuts as well)

 ½ cup Flour

1 teaspoon Cinnamon

4 Tablespoons Butter



1.       Mix cherries, sugar, water, and cornstarch in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium heat and then reduce to a simmer.  Continue to simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.

2.       While cherries are simmering mix brown sugar, oats, flour, cinnamon, and butter to form a crumbly mixture.  I use my fingers to blend and then mix it with a fork to break the crumbles up a little.

3.       Grease a 9x9 baking dish and pour cherry mixture in the dish.  Sprinkle topping over the cherries and then bake for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly and topping is browned in a 375 degree oven. 



We like to top ours with whipped cream!  You can always top with vanilla ice cream or eat plain.  Whichever you and your family prefer J


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!